The Silent Auction for Katie is now complete! The auction took place on Friday, March 19 - Sunday, March 21. A huge thanks goes out to our generous sponsors who donated such amazing items, and to each and every bidder who participated! Now let's all walk away REAL WINNERS by donating our bid amounts directly to Katie to help pay for her medical care. After all, that's why we're all here in the first place!

Learn about our incredible Sponsors by reading our "Sponsor Spotlight" series, with interviews and insights into these unique artisan's work! We encourage you to support their shops.

Be sure to read more about Katie's inspiring story in her fight against cancer on the right hand column below. And follow our blog for updates... there's more to come!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sponsor Spotlight - Soap For Your Soul


Soap For Your Soul features all natural, fully vegan soaps and body products all whipped up by the owner and artist, Emily. With tons of adorable soap packages (many tied up in those cute handmade bags made from upcycled fabric), this shop's got washing up covered ten times over. Emily will even show you how her soap is made in her tutorial!

Want to learn a little about the soapmaker behind the suds? Read on in our interview below!



Donations for Katie: Thanks for chatting with us! First, why don't you tell us a little about yourself.

Emily: I'm that quirky chick who knows how to make just about anything. Kinda like a crafty McGyver. I’m in love with a wonderful man who loves me back. I have three great kids ages 3 to 15. I live in the woods way out in the boonies. I enjoy nature, gardening, and am somewhat of a hermit… I love to stay home and make stuff. I work a few hours a week as a caregiver to an older couple cooking, cleaning, and driving them to doctor’s appointments. I have fallen in love with seniors. The older generation has so much wisdom to share about what's important and how to live your life happily.

DfK: How did you get started in your craft?

E: All of the women in my family are multi-talented, quilting, crocheting, knitting, baking, canning vegetables, braiding rugs, needlework, hooked rugs, and so much more. I just sat back and soaked it all up when I was little. My Aunt learned to make soap from the Amish ladies she befriended in WV. She sent me some, and I was hooked! I had a real hard time getting over the whole lard and tallow- “bathing in bacon” aspect of Amish soap… So I started researching and making vegan soaps. That was back in 2000. Those first few batches were very expensive failures, but I hung in there. Since then I have made and sold over 10,000 bars of soap. It’s addicting. New scents, new colors, swirls, chunks, stripes…there are so many options!

DfK: What do you love most about your work?

E: I’ve been working from home for over 10 years, now, and I love being home, working in my jammies, and being with my kids. My three year old loves to watch Mama “Maka da soap!”, and he sits in my lap while I crochet. What a great job!

DfK: Where do you get your inspiration?

E: Music, nature, and Life. My favorite quote is from Salvador DeMadariaga: "The conveyance of spirit by means of matter.” It is the essence of what I do. I feel that everything I make comes straight from my creative soul, and it is my job here on Earth to bring it into creation to share with others. If I feel like crocheting, I crochet. If I feel like making soap, I make soap. If I feel like taking the day off and lazying around at the beach, we head for the beach. I don’t force it. If the feeling isn’t there that day, it's just not.

DfK: What made you decide to support Katie through this auction?

E: Katie and her husband are like lots of people: Giving up the 9-5 world to follow their hearts and souls and be ‘real’. Unfortunately, in this age, that may leave them with little or no health insurance, no “financial security” and an unpredictable income. Katie needs our support to continue her positive crusade, showing the world that when life serves up lemons, you make lemonade. From what I’ve read about Katie, her strength and courage are contagious. I want to help her continue this crusade!

DfK: Anything you'd like to say to Katie directly?

E: You are in my prayers… Hang in there, and keep on spreadin’ your SUNSHINE!

You can learn more about Emily and her work by visiting her shop!

~ Don't Miss Out! ~


Wondering what Emily donated for this weekend's auction? Browse the auction now to find out!