The Silent Auction for Katie is now complete! The auction took place on Friday, March 19 - Sunday, March 21. A huge thanks goes out to our generous sponsors who donated such amazing items, and to each and every bidder who participated! Now let's all walk away REAL WINNERS by donating our bid amounts directly to Katie to help pay for her medical care. After all, that's why we're all here in the first place!

Learn about our incredible Sponsors by reading our "Sponsor Spotlight" series, with interviews and insights into these unique artisan's work! We encourage you to support their shops.

Be sure to read more about Katie's inspiring story in her fight against cancer on the right hand column below. And follow our blog for updates... there's more to come!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sponsor Spotlight - Baby Toes


At Baby Toes, you'll find an eclectic assortment of artwork and knitted items all created by artist and crafter, Christy Craig. From home decor to adorable kid sweaters to patterns so you can create your own lovelies, this crafty mom's got something for everyone!


We caught up with Christy to learn more about her creative process. Read on in our interview below!



Donations for Katie: Thanks for chatting with us! First, why don't you tell us a little about yourself.

Christy: I'm a 34-year old married Mommy of two angel-eyes-scumpy-bum boys. My little family of four completely and fully dominate my world. I'm certainly living what I was born to do. At the end of the day, a little foot massage, a glass of wine, and you'll always find me with knitting needles in my hand, working away in supreme zen. Knitting is my therapy, I'm so thankful for it.

DfK: How did you get started in your craft?

C: When I was a little girl and my sister and I were bored in those long summer days, our mother would say "you could knit or crochet" and set us down with our Susan Boyle's and some thick acrylic something-or-other and that was that. Snarled rows of purl and knit and endless knots she'd have to fix. Some 25-years later and I'm immersed in fluffy angoras, slippery silks, and sturdy wools with metallic metal sticks replaced by sleek and polished wood or bamboo. Heaven.

DfK: What do you love most about your work?

C: The idea of making something functional and whimsical, something that will be worn by my babies, and passed down to their babies, creating all that memory and magic from something that was grown on a sheep is delightful! Really! And to be continuing the long history of knitting is an honor. My son's favorite "blankie" I knit while he kept me company in my belly, was with him from day one in the hospital, and he won't go to bed without it. How rewarding is that? I love to create life - so to speak, by sewing together little figures, or painting new faces where you wouldn't think to find them.

DfK: Where do you get your inspiration?

C: Debbie Bliss, Susan Anderson, Alan Dart to name a few. The history woven together with twisty cables and strong fair isles. I wait like a puppy at the door for my next issue of "Interweave Knits"! As far as my painting, I love expressions - I'm an eye talker, so I'll be watching your face. It's about emotive painting for me. And my sewing is all about love. Little families, I mean that's what we're here for to love, love, love.

DfK: What made you decide to support Katie through this auction?

C: As a 10-year cancer survivor, I know what a scary place that is. The absolute last thing any person in that battle needs to think about is finances. Instead, supreme care and positive energies on the healing process is all dear Katie needs. Whatever any of us can do to make that more of a possibility for Katie is what we should do.

DfK: Anything you'd like to say to Katie directly?

C: Be strong. You're a woman which in and of itself makes you an Amazon. Love and prayers are all around you Katie. You will succeed.

You can check out more of Christy's work by visiting her shop or her website!

Wondering what Christy has donated for Katie's auction? Come back tomorrow to find out!