The Silent Auction for Katie is now complete! The auction took place on Friday, March 19 - Sunday, March 21. A huge thanks goes out to our generous sponsors who donated such amazing items, and to each and every bidder who participated! Now let's all walk away REAL WINNERS by donating our bid amounts directly to Katie to help pay for her medical care. After all, that's why we're all here in the first place!

Learn about our incredible Sponsors by reading our "Sponsor Spotlight" series, with interviews and insights into these unique artisan's work! We encourage you to support their shops.

Be sure to read more about Katie's inspiring story in her fight against cancer on the right hand column below. And follow our blog for updates... there's more to come!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sponsor Spotlight - Komono Art



"Komono" is Japanese for "little things," all the little bags, purses, and treats that make being a woman so much fun. And at Komono Art, that's exactly what you'll find - artistic bags, wallets, purses, and fabric treats for women of all ages. As the owner and creator of this adorable line, Yuko designs her fabric creations from her home in NY.


We caught up with the very busy mom of two to learn a little more about her craft. Read more about her in our interview below!



Donations for Katie: Thanks for taking the time to chat with us! First, why don't you tell us a little about yourself.

Yuko: My name is Yuko Stano, a mom of 3-year-old daughter and 3-month-old boy and a wife of a lovely husband. I am Japanese. I moved to the United States about 10 years ago and now live in Albany NY.

DfK: How did you get started in your craft?

Y: My sister is a great sewer and she taught me how to sew. My first project was making pajamas for my boyfriend when I was fifteen.

DfK: What do you love most about your work?

Y: I can stay at home with my children and work whenever I have a little spare time. Since my son was born in December, I haven't been able to work as much as I used to though. But I can always give up 10 mins of my sleep at night for sewing.

DfK: Where do you get your inspiration?

Y: From all the beautiful fabric that is available now. I LOVE LOVE LOVE fabric. I actually started my own fabric shop on Etsy a little while ago.
http://www.fabricartshop.etsy.com

DfK: What made you decide to support Katie through this auction?

Y: I lost my nephew who was only 6 years old with cancer. I just know how hard it is to see that someone who you care about is suffering.

DfK: Anything you'd like to say to Katie directly?

Y: I wish you all the best! I admire you for your amazing strength.

You can check out more of Yuko's creations by visiting her shop!

~ Sneak Peek ~



Check out this adorable bag, just one of TWO lovely pieces donated by Yuko. Want to see the other item she's donated? Come back on March 19th to find out what it is and place your bids!