The Silent Auction for Katie is now complete! The auction took place on Friday, March 19 - Sunday, March 21. A huge thanks goes out to our generous sponsors who donated such amazing items, and to each and every bidder who participated! Now let's all walk away REAL WINNERS by donating our bid amounts directly to Katie to help pay for her medical care. After all, that's why we're all here in the first place!

Learn about our incredible Sponsors by reading our "Sponsor Spotlight" series, with interviews and insights into these unique artisan's work! We encourage you to support their shops.

Be sure to read more about Katie's inspiring story in her fight against cancer on the right hand column below. And follow our blog for updates... there's more to come!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sponsor Spotlight - Hiphugger


Hiphugger features chic, upcycled bags that have been sewn by hand from reclaimed fabrics. From "meanswear" hobo bags to spring florals, it's easy to imagine the lives these bits of fabric lived before crossing paths with Marcia, who owns and operates the business. Taking worn out pieces and giving them new life, Marcia finishes off her one-of-a-kind bags with gently worn belts and other repurposed leather embellishments. The result? The most adorable "new vintage" shop you're likely to come across this year.



Want to know more about the seamstress behind it all? Read on in our interview below!



Donations for Katie: Thanks for chatting with us! First, why don't you tell us a little about yourself.

Marcia: My name is Marcia Beck and I live on the beautiful central coast of California. I am a wife, mother, sister, friend, designer of many things...you get the picture. I have been a hairstylist for 22 years but have recently felt as though I need a new creative outlet which led me to my current passion, hiphugger.

DfK: How did you get started in your craft?

M: I was going through a pretty rough time in my life (my son was a teenager...i know all of you can relate to this!) and was consumed with worry and grief. It's all I could see. I came out of the bedroom from folding clothes one day and my sweet, sweet husband had set up my machine and a bunch of cut bag pieces I had given up on. I hadn't sewn in a long time. He knew what I needed more than I did! Sewing was (and still is) a working meditation for me. A chance to be fully present and in the moment. No worry, no fear, just pure joy. From this hiphugger grew into a viable business which hopefully I can do full time at some point very soon! Oh, and, everyone is doing great!

DfK: What do you love most about your work?

M: I love the hunt for materials, combining the fabrics, the inspiration, the connection I feel towards the people that purchase my bags. The fact that I belong to a community of craftspeople and artists with a vision of change.

DfK: Where do you get your inspiration?

M: I am inspired by people. Conversations. The feel of a fabric. Love.

DfK: What made you decide to support Katie through this auction?

M: I read about Katie and her situation and was immediatly touched. First, that adorable face just jumps out at you and secondly, I just felt inspired! I will help a sister out in whatever way I possibly can! I was honored to be chosen to participate.

DfK: Anything you'd like to say to Katie directly?

M: Kick some serious butt, Katie!!

You can learn more about Marcia and her work by visiting her shop! Her spring line is set to hit her shop any day now, so check back often!

~ Don't Miss Out! ~

Hiphugger has generously donated two gorgeous bags for this weekend's auction! Browse the auction to find out what they look like and place your bids... remember the auction ends Sunday night!