The Silent Auction for Katie is now complete! The auction took place on Friday, March 19 - Sunday, March 21. A huge thanks goes out to our generous sponsors who donated such amazing items, and to each and every bidder who participated! Now let's all walk away REAL WINNERS by donating our bid amounts directly to Katie to help pay for her medical care. After all, that's why we're all here in the first place!

Learn about our incredible Sponsors by reading our "Sponsor Spotlight" series, with interviews and insights into these unique artisan's work! We encourage you to support their shops.

Be sure to read more about Katie's inspiring story in her fight against cancer on the right hand column below. And follow our blog for updates... there's more to come!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sponsor Spotlight - Butterfly Linx



Butterfly Linx is a chic line of hand-crocheted hats, scarves, wrist warmers and other accessories, all made by owner and designer Liesa. With creative inspirations and boutique-worthy items, this is one shop you just have to check out!


Want to know a little more about what goes into the creation of Butterfly Linx's gorgeous products? Read on in our interview with Liesa, below!



Donations for Katie: Thanks for chatting with us! First, why don't you tell us a little about yourself.

Liesa: I am a Jamaican born, suffering from Peter Pan syndrome. I'm a 28 year old mother of one son and big sister to one bother parading around as an 18 year old living life as colorfully as possible. I enjoy spending time with family and friends and embracing my Caribbean roots. I LOVE art, music (all kinds), fashion, food, home decor, dance (all forms, especially Latin) and crafting. I guess you can say I love all things creative.

DfK: How did you get started in your craft?

L: I started crocheting at 12 years old. My mom and grandma use to crochet a lot and I found it fascinating. My mom taught how to work a chain, but the rest I pretty much taught myself. Over the years I picked up books to learn new techniques, but the style and color pallets I draw from the fashion industry and functionality I draw from my own day to day activities. Things I cannot sew I crochet…and it usually works for me.

DfK: What do you love most about your work?

L: The thing I love most about my work is the creativity. Taking an idea from my head and manifesting it into my work, and not to mention when others see the beauty in your work too.

DfK: Where do you get your inspiration?

L: Most of my inspiration is drawn from the styles of the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and a bit of the 80’s. And other times my inspiration comes from the things around me. Whether it be a garment to walk that runway, to a flower in a garden, graffiti on the side of a building, a commercial on television, or something I’ve eaten, inspiration is all around me, and when I get that inspiration I draw my lil heart out or jot down notes in my numerous notes note books.

DfK: What made you decide to support Katie through this auction?

L: I am a firm believer in giving back to others and being a blessing in any way I can. You never know what others are going through and if you can bring any ray of sunshine into their lives it the smallest gesture, but it can make a huge impact. I also know what its like to see someone you love battle cancer. Unfortunately the outcome was not favorable, and my uncle is greatly missed…I think of him everyday and wish he were still here, but I know he’s in a good place no longer suffering.

DfK: Anything you'd like to say to Katie directly?

L: Katie – Keep smiling!!!! Don’t let cancer see you with a frown or let’em think for a minute it’s got you beat. Look cancer straight in the eye and tell’em you’ve picked the wrong women to mess with!

You can check out more of Liesa's work by visiting her shop!


Wondering what Liesa has donated for Katie's auction? Browse the auction now to find out!