The Silent Auction for Katie is now complete! The auction took place on Friday, March 19 - Sunday, March 21. A huge thanks goes out to our generous sponsors who donated such amazing items, and to each and every bidder who participated! Now let's all walk away REAL WINNERS by donating our bid amounts directly to Katie to help pay for her medical care. After all, that's why we're all here in the first place!

Learn about our incredible Sponsors by reading our "Sponsor Spotlight" series, with interviews and insights into these unique artisan's work! We encourage you to support their shops.

Be sure to read more about Katie's inspiring story in her fight against cancer on the right hand column below. And follow our blog for updates... there's more to come!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sponsor Spotlight - Seat of My Pants



Seat of My Pants is an adorable line of all things fabric created by the owner and designer, Jen. Somewhere between writing poetry, creating artwork and watching after her kids, Jen finds time to dream up playful, colorful accessories that will make doing anything from storing makeup to toting diapers a little more fun!



Bright, cheerful colors and smart designs make this shop a joy to browse. Want to know a little more about the artist/poet/teacher/mom/seamstress behind it all? Read our interview with Jen, below!



Donations for Katie: Thanks for chatting with us! Let's start by asking you to tell us a little about yourself.

Jen: My name is Jen, and when I'm not teaching or mothering, I love to make things. I finished the MFA program at Ashland University this past summer, and I thoroughly enjoyed learning a huge amount about crafting a solid poem, working closely with so many extraordinarily talented writers, and building friendships that I'm sure will last a very long time. You can see one of my poems here: http://www.perigee-art.com/1009/index-2.php

DfK: How did you get started in your craft?

J: When I was 12 or so, my friend Allie taught me how to sew by hand. I made a number of blankets as gifts between that time and my college days. I received a marvelous second-hand sewing machine for Christmas when I was 22, and slowly figured out how to make it go. After our son was born and I was home from work, I picked up sewing again, but I decided that making bags was more my style.

DfK: What do you love most about your work?

J: I love a lot of things about my work! I love having some down time in the workshop--just me and the fabric and the scissors. (And the machine and the pins and the iron... haha!) I love the tremendous variety of fabrics that are available right now. I love coming up with new designs, especially when inspiration strikes. I love figuring out a new way to make an old design. I love when people want me to make them something special and it turns out awesome.

DfK: You offer so many beautiful things! Where do you get your inspiration?

J: I am totally inspired by beautiful fabrics. My friends inspire me to make new things, too--a special diaper bag design, a different size of an old design. Sometimes inspiration just hits me and I don't know where it comes from, and when that happens, it is pretty exciting.

DfK: What made you decide to support Katie through this auction?

J: I lost a dear friend to cancer a few years ago, and so I thought if my donating a handmade item to this auction can help Katie beat her lymphoma, I'm all for it.

DfK: Anything you'd like to say to Katie directly?

J: Katie, I was so inspired by your strength as you fight this disease. Your willingness to keep on going to parties and urging your friends out to the dance floor is such a great example for anybody, whether they are healthy or not. I wish you all the very best.

You can learn more about Jen and her work by visiting her shop!

~ Don't Miss Out! ~


Jen's zipper pouches like the one above are on SALE in her shop right now... Grab one before they're gone!