The Silent Auction for Katie is now complete! The auction took place on Friday, March 19 - Sunday, March 21. A huge thanks goes out to our generous sponsors who donated such amazing items, and to each and every bidder who participated! Now let's all walk away REAL WINNERS by donating our bid amounts directly to Katie to help pay for her medical care. After all, that's why we're all here in the first place!

Learn about our incredible Sponsors by reading our "Sponsor Spotlight" series, with interviews and insights into these unique artisan's work! We encourage you to support their shops.

Be sure to read more about Katie's inspiring story in her fight against cancer on the right hand column below. And follow our blog for updates... there's more to come!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sponsor Spotlight - Pondhopper Studio


Pondhopper Studio features a collection of beautiful and unique articles of clothing, accessories, and artwork. Artist and designer Lorraine uses upcycled materials and nature-inspired themes to create pieces that will add a touch of artsy elegance to your wardrobe or home. Each piece is one of a kind, yet they share a distinctive, creative flair that runs through her work. She has so many lovely pieces that it's impossible to choose a favorite!



We caught up with Lorraine to find out what goes into her creative process. Learn more about her in our interview below!



Donations for Katie: Thanks for chatting with us! First, why don't you tell us a little about yourself.

Pondhopper: Mmmm – I’m not good at this bit, but here goes! I’m Lorraine and I live in Canada in a wonderful old farmhouse in the almost - middle of the City of Edmonton! Our garden has beautiful 100 year old elm trees where we built a tree house that nestles in the middle of the branches. Now that our two sons are grown, my husband and I use the tree house to enjoy a glass of sparkling wine during hot summer afternoons. So the tree house has evolved from a child’s play place to a lovely sanctuary complete with garden chairs, hammock, bookcase and chandelier!

DfK: How did you get started in your craft?

P: I don’t remember ever really “starting” – I have just always made stuff! Formally, I pursued drawing, painting, papercrafts and sculpting throughout my school and college years, studied sewing and textiles in England and learned about jewelry in Montreal. Informally, I grew up helping my Mum sew my dance costumes and learning photography from my Dad – I can still remember going into the attic where the darkroom was and watching the magical process of pictures appearing on a blank sheet of paper (pre-digital of course!).

DfK: What do you love most about your work?

P: The truth is I am just addicted to everything about the process of creation - from the initial inspiration to the end result, I love it all! I really enjoy taking something that has a previous life and may otherwise be discarded and turning it into a unique new piece to be loved. I especially like hearing stories about how my items are used by their new owners.

DfK: Where do you get your inspiration?

P: I find inspiration comes from so many different places it would be hard to narrow it down – my head is constantly bombarded with ideas and I have scrawled notes in every nook and cranny of my house, car, purse and pockets! Often, inspiration will come from the materials and techniques themselves. I like working on concepts that are not fully dictated in the beginning and the final outcome is a bit of a surprise because it has evolved throughout the creation process.

DfK: What made you decide to support Katie through this auction?

P: Katie reminds me of a dear friend who battled cancer with the utmost grace and humour. She always had a sparkle in her eye and never lost her joy of life. It was humbling, heartbreaking and uplifting to be a part of her journey and I have a feeling Katie’s own journey, as difficult as it is, brings many gifts to her family and friends also.

DfK: Anything you'd like to say to Katie directly?

P: I wish you the very best Katie.

You can check out more of Lorraine's work by visiting her shop!

~ Sneak Peek ~

Wondering what Lorraine has generously donated for the auction? These gorgeous spats will add a little flair to any pair of shoes you own! Come back on Friday to learn more about them and place your bids!