The Silent Auction for Katie is now complete! The auction took place on Friday, March 19 - Sunday, March 21. A huge thanks goes out to our generous sponsors who donated such amazing items, and to each and every bidder who participated! Now let's all walk away REAL WINNERS by donating our bid amounts directly to Katie to help pay for her medical care. After all, that's why we're all here in the first place!

Learn about our incredible Sponsors by reading our "Sponsor Spotlight" series, with interviews and insights into these unique artisan's work! We encourage you to support their shops.

Be sure to read more about Katie's inspiring story in her fight against cancer on the right hand column below. And follow our blog for updates... there's more to come!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sponsor Spotlight - Girl by Aileen

Girl by Aileen is a delightful line of cute, creative bags and clutches all dreamed up by owner and Chicago native, Aileen. From messenger bags to makeup pouches to her signature large-frame clutches, Aileen has got everything you'll need to carry your essentials in style. Using only the trendiest fabrics and simple, chic designs, this shop is full of artsy one of a kind items that'll make you swoon.


We had the chance to chat with Aileen and learn a little more about her process. Check out our interview below for more on the artist behind Girl by Aileen!



Donations for Katie: Thanks for chatting with us! First, why don't you tell us a little about yourself.

Aileen: I am a mother of 3 boys and one more boy in the oven. My husband and I love creativity and cannot get enough of it. I wish I had more hours in the day to be creative as I work full time as well. As a child I remember my mother being very creative with sewing and so I inherited the talent from her.

DfK: How did you get started in your craft?

A: Two years ago my sister in law and I went to a craft show and I loved the idea of homemade. I said to her next year you and I will be part of this event and that's where it all started.

DfK: What do you love most about your work?

A: I am a fabric addict. I love to shop for new fabrics.

DfK: Where do you get your inspiration?

A: I am inspired by colors and designs. So many fabrics and ideas that motivate me. I can't wait to see the finish product so once I start I can't put it down.

DfK: What made you decide to support Katie through this auction?

A: My X husband has terminal cancer and watching him struggle with his health, time, money, it's devastating. He is a fighter and still goes to work full time. He is an inspiration to me. It's unfair for any human being to endure this disease. I can't imagine being in their shoes and truly admire their strength and determination to live.

DfK: Anything you'd like to say to Katie directly?

A: Hi Katie! It is my pleasure to be part of this event. I wish you the best and will have you in my prayers. Keep up the good fight. God bless.

You can check out more of Aileen's work by visiting her shop!

~ Sneak Peek ~

Want a peek at which gorgeous creation Girl by Aileen will be offering for auction on the 19th? Keep your eyes peeled for an XL-frame clutch made in this so-cute "tulips and berries" fabric! Come back on March 19th to place your bids!