The Silent Auction for Katie is now complete! The auction took place on Friday, March 19 - Sunday, March 21. A huge thanks goes out to our generous sponsors who donated such amazing items, and to each and every bidder who participated! Now let's all walk away REAL WINNERS by donating our bid amounts directly to Katie to help pay for her medical care. After all, that's why we're all here in the first place!

Learn about our incredible Sponsors by reading our "Sponsor Spotlight" series, with interviews and insights into these unique artisan's work! We encourage you to support their shops.

Be sure to read more about Katie's inspiring story in her fight against cancer on the right hand column below. And follow our blog for updates... there's more to come!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sponsor Spotlight - Foundling

Foundling is a one-woman show run by Betsy - an artist, wife, and mom to two dogs who lives in North Carolina. If you're a lover of antique and vintage finds, Betsy has got your number; she spends her days creatively turning old papers and fabrics into new, beautiful, wearable works of art.


We caught up with Betsy to learn a little more about how foundling came to be. Want the inside scoop? Read our interview below to find out more about Betsy and her work.



Donations for Katie: Thanks for taking the time to chat with us! First, why don't you tell us a little about yourself.

foundling: I live in Asheville, NC with my husband and two dogs. I've been making things through foundling for about five years now. I work from my basement studio and love, love, love what I do.

DfK: How did you get started in your craft?

f: I loved my collage classes in college and started using vintage fabrics and papers for those projects. When I was done with school, those were the materials I kept going back to and wanting to use in my work. Things just kind of evolved toward jewelry and I eventually took some silversmithing classes.

DfK: What do you love most about your work?

f: I love collecting old things and making them into something people can wear and enjoy. I love the idea that those materials have already had little lives of their own with experiences we can only imagine, and that now they've set out for more adventures.

DfK: Where do you get your inspiration?

f: The materials themselves provide lots of inspiration. I also keep a wall of imagery that I find beautiful. Up there right now I have some beautiful faded postcards, paint chips of colors I'm loving, illustrations from old children's science books, and a Hiroshige print.

DfK: What made you decide to support Katie through this auction?

f: I don't know Katie personally, but I know lots of other artists who have suffered through disease because they can't afford health insurance. I have friends who need mental health care, who need dental work done, who wait to have serious problems checked until they can afford it and don't know when they'll be able to afford it. It's ridiculous that people could find themselves in a situation like this in a place where we have the means to care for people, but choose not to make it work. I appreciate the chance to help make it work.

DfK: Anything you'd like to say to Katie directly?

f: I'm sure you know better than I do, but you've got good friends, Katie!

You can check out more of Betsy's work by visiting her shop!

~ Sneak Peek ~


Wondering what old-to-new jewelry foundling will be offering for auction on the 19th? These gorgeous Botanist earrings could be yours! Come back on March 19th to place your bids!